Laughter breeds a positive work environment and improves customer service.
There are many rules and guidelines about appropriate communication with customers. Our vote is that laughter is the #1 rule which most improves customer service. In fact, laughter at work and a positive attitude go hand in hand.
Without these two qualities, the workplace is not only boring, you could actually lose employees and customers! Really, who wants to work everyday or do business with a grump? Grumpy and stress are close relatives.
So send a fun or quirky personal greeting card to your clients, and spread some positivity!
A recent survey said 90% of Americans live in a constant state of stress. YIKES, no wonder customers are treated poorly. A positive attitude and smiling is a huge leap on reducing that stress and improves customer service. Add a little fun and laughter and you will feel and see the difference. For those of you that know us, it will be no surprise that we label laughter as the #1 Customer Service Rule. We found out early in our careers that our unique laughter, (yes, both of us) opened up career opportunities, advancement and positive recognition in both our professional and personal lives. We have to admit, we were way ahead of the game on this one. One might say that you hear us before you see us. Now you know our secret. Laughter is a must in our world.
Did you know that the average preschooler laughs or smiles 400 times a day? The sad truth is that this is greatly reduced to about 15 by the time we are 35. It is so important that we are now reading and hearing more and more about the benefits of laughter at work. For some companies, it is a pre-requisite for many customer service positions. You don’t need to see each other to hear laughter, we can see that big smile on the phone and it’s read in many emails labeled “LOL.”
Laughter at work will truly brighten your day and it just might cinch that sale. Unless you win the lottery, you can plan on spending a long time in the workplace. So smile, work should be fun.
When there is fun in the workplace, you can expect:
- People will enjoy coming to work
- They will be more motivated
- They will enjoy better relationships with each other
- Better communication
- Better cohesiveness and team spirit
- Higher morale and productivity
- Positive atmosphere for problem solving and creativity
Laughter at Work is essential, here’s why:
- Decreases absenteeism – Everyone wants to work in a positive, upbeat environment. People get along better with co-workers, absenteeism and tardiness are reduced and decision making improves.
- Reduces stress – Studies show that humor activates our physiological systems including the muscular, respiratory, cardiovascular and skeletal.
- Higher productivity – this leads to “thinking outside the box” or in our case “the envelope,” producing more and different products, leading to higher profitability.
- Lowers your blood pressure – Yes, laughter lowers blood pressure and increases endorphins. Exercises the lungs and pumps more oxygen in the bloodstream
- Contagious to everyone around you – That’s the best. Don’t you want to be a company that ranks high on employee/customer satisfaction and profitability? Happy employees = happy customers!
So lighten up and get serious about laughing. It is good for the soul and business too! What about your attitude? I recently read that your attitude is your personal signature and that people associate your attitude when they hear or read your name. Positive attitudes automatically generate smiles.
People prefer to do business with positive, upbeat employees. If you notice bad attitudes among your employees, so do your customers. Research shows 68% of customers who stop doing business with a company leave because of an attitude or indifference by a SINGLE employee. That person could be the CEO, VP, Director, Manager, Supervisor, Foreman and so on. Remember, every employee is part of the customer service chain.
If you need to work on your attitude, here are some tips you can use right away:
- Don’t take yourself too seriously – for most of us, nothing we are doing today will make any bit of difference in the world a hundred years from now. So, why take yourself so seriously? Laugh (for those that know us, this is our forte!) and learn to laugh at yourself.
- Keep Your Spirits Up – No matter how difficult the situation, maintain a positive attitude. It really will turn out just fine. (How’s that for a positive attitude?)
- Learn to Fail – Heard the quote, “learn to fail . . . but fail quickly?” Deal with it, learn from it and then move on quickly.
- Leave Your Ego at Home – “The bigger a man’s head gets, the easier it is to fill his shoes” ~ Henry A. Courtney. What can we say?!
- No Screaming! – No matter how bad things get, no situation warrants an angry response. It shows a total lack of control and makes you look bad . . . very bad.
- Ban Whining – A whiner is like an infection, it spreads. No pity parties and stop it immediately at the source.
- Dump the Drama – It sells tabloids but has no use in the workplace. It’s draining and zaps valuable creativity.
- Smile – It increases your face value. It also increases your success. Remember, people aren’t happy because they are successful, they are successful because they are happy. A smile totally effects those around you. You just might make their day too!
- Tell Good Stories – The world is often too serious for us humans. Chances are, you have been through a lot to get where you are today so share some of your humorous adventures.
Customers respond better to an employee that is positive and upbeat, so share your new attitude and that smile in your voice with your customers. You will love the outcome!