Okay, here’s the deal. . .
Statistics state that you need to connect with your customers 5–12 times a year to be remembered.
After hearing that statistic, I asked myself, “Are you kidding, who is going to forget who they do business with?” Surprisingly, people do forget and here is an example of how that can happen . . .
Your carpets need cleaning. The company you hired was out of the box fabulous and here’s why:
- They called a few days before their scheduled day to confirm.
- They showed up at the time the appointment was set.
- They were courteous and listened to your concerns about where all the specific carpet stains were located throughout the house.
- They moved some of the heavier pieces you could not move.
- They did a thorough job of vacuuming before they started cleaning the carpets.
- They were respectful by actually taking off their shoes during the process!
- Upon completion, they laid down plastic runners in the heavily walked areas.
- The carpet looked brand new again (well pretty close!).
- Their rates were comparable to others, but realistically for their effort and outcome, you would have paid more.
Sounds like a fabulous carpet cleaning company to have around, right? Fast forward ahead a year or two and it’s time for another cleaning.
Now Here’s the Sad News:
Because they never connected with you after that initial cleaning, you don’t remember their name, YIKES! That just cost the carpet cleaning company a potential customer for life and who knows how many referrals. How sad to lose a customer that way?!
You may want to think about this story as a means to get motivated using some sort of follow up plan. Sending a light-hearted greeting in the mail is one idea.
Why don’t we follow up?
As a business, “following up after a sale”is just not high on the priority list. It’s another task we don’t have time for or maybe we just don’t know what to do. We think it’s enough to just take care of our customers at the time they need us, oh yeah and then send them a bill.
Why are we so bad at it?
Because it takes time, effort, planning and doesn’t bring home the bacon. Customers will still keep coming back, won’t they? Maybe, maybe not. Don’t take that chance, it’s just too risky.
Connect with your customers on a regular basis, they truly want to feel valued and important. They need to know that you think of them and appreciate their business. A greeting card personalized from your business is one way to connect with your customers and you are not asking anything from them.